What Really Kills Mold?
Mold is no laughing matter. It can make you sick and exacerbate existing health conditions you may have like respiratory issues and allergies. Mold is a fungus that can begin to grow where there is standing water that is allowed to sit for an extended period of time. It is also often the result of a leaking or broken pipe that is letting water into your home. It is very dangerous because once it starts to grow, it’s spores can actually travel through the air and eat away at the organic matter – like the wood in your house. This is why it is so important to take action at the first sign of mold growth in your home. If you see black spots on your walls, ceiling, attic, crawlspaces or any other spot where blemishes shouldn’t be, you should call a mold cleanup company right away. Remember that any mold you see is mold to clean up.
Take some time to read the following post to educate yourself on the different types of mold, how to detect mold and the physical symptoms that come along with mold growth in your home. However, if you suspect or are certain that you currently have mold growing in your home, you should call our company, The Cleaning Source at (317) 853-9363 as soon as you can!
Can You Clean Up Mold Yourself?
This is a question we get a lot and is the subject of some debate. Many homeowners think they can clean up mold themselves but there are a couple of problems with the DIY mold cleanup method. First of all, unless you just so happen to be a mold remediation specialist you may not be able to find all the mold present in your home. Just because you see mold growing on the drywall of your bathroom, doesn’t mean that’s all the mold there is. In fact, more often than not, mold begins growing in areas of your home that are out of sight and then, only when the growth becomes a health hazard does it make its presence known in the plain to see areas.
Secondly, not all so-called “mold removers” that you can buy at the store will be enough to solve your particular mold problem. Another question we get asked a lot is “can Lysol kill mold?” and the answer is sometimes. If you are able to detect mold in its early stages then a Lysol and bleach solution could do the trick. Lysol with bleach will kill mold or mildew instantaneously if it has not already embedded itself in organic material and begun rotting away. When mold has gotten deep into organic material, like wood, it cannot be removed with any cleaning solution you can buy at the store.
So the answer to whether or not you can clean mold yourself is that it depends. Again, if you can spot it before the deep growth stage, you can kill it with bleach. If not, you will need professional mold cleanup services. You can call us for professional mold cleanup service any time by dialing (317) 853-9363.
The Dangers of Mold
Mold comes in a variety of genus and can grow indoors and outdoors. But the fact of the matter is that any form of indoor mold, no matter what color it is can pose a health hazard. The types of mold we are going to focus on are the most common in homes: black mold and white mold.
What is the Difference Between White Mold and Black Mold?
White mold is often mistaken for mildew or efflorescence but they are not the same. White mold can be dangerous and it will not grow on brickwork, plants or concrete. It won’t crumble to the touch as mildew would either. True white mold can be dangerous to your health and so can black mold.
Although many molds appear black or dark in color, only Stachybotrys is considered a toxic mold. While other black molds still pose a health threat, Stachybotrys is considered toxic by the CDC. Here are some of the other differences between white and black mold:
- White mold may be beige, grey or even brownish
- Black mold smells musty
- White mold can look fuzzy or puffy
- Black mold has a moist texture
How Do You Know if Mold is Black Mold?
You have to rely on your sense of sight and smell to identify black mold. Black mold will look slick – like its always wet. Dark dots on your drywall are another sign of black mold. However, if you do not see any visual signs of black mold you may be able to smell it. Keep your sense of smell keen for an inexplicable musty or damp odor in your home. So can black mold make you sick? Absolutely. You may not be able to see or even smell mold but look out for mold and mildew allergy symptoms such as dizziness, post-nasal drip, dry skin, sore throat, watery eyes, and runny nose. Black mold can even cause sinusitis, mold-induced asthma, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Again, mold is no laughing matter. It can do damage to your home and your health. Know the warning signs and be prepared by saving our number, (317) 853-9363 on your phone now! We are here for your home mold removal in Indianapolis, IN.